Sunday, May 16, 2010

Five Guys Little Cheeseburger Review


Behold... the Five Guys Little Cheeseburger. I've always been a HUGE FG fan, and since I hadn't been able to have one of these beauties since sometime before I headed off to college, I ended up having a huge craving when my mom, sister, and her friend were driving to Greenville and we were discussing where to go grab lunch.

We showed up around 3, so it was luckily not slam packed. Our cashier/cook greeted us and took our order immediately. Each of us ordered a Little Burger/Cheeseburger (or in my sister's case.. a normal Burger), and we all split a large fry. Our food was ready quickly, but was freshly made too, a signature of FG.

My order: Little Cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce, pickles, grilled onions, ketchup, and hot sauce.

Now, for some this burger probably looks kind of tiny, but it is a "Little" cheeseburger, so cut it some slack. From my first bite to my last, Five Guys once again proved to me why they are my number one favorite burger restaurant. The meat was fresh, juicy, and charred from the grill, but had a slight tenderness to it as well. Unlike some places (yes, I'm looking at you, Burger King), you could really tell it was fresh beef, not a mystery meat kinda-like-beef rubber puck. All of my condiments were fresh as well, a huge plus. The pickles were thick cut and very crunchy Claussen-esque, which are my favorites. A huge highlight were the onions. I'm still wary of raw onions, except when they're chopped into my mom's homemade potato salad. But cooked onions, I'm a huge fan of. I was a little unsure of ordering them at first, because a lot of time I've ordered my burger with grilled other places, they ended up being raw with just a little char. But was this another burger place? No, it was Five Guys! And I am very glad I did order them. They were just on the edge of being soft, but still retained some crunch, and had the sweetness of soft, but a slight bite. Kind of like the texture and flavor of a Bloomin' Onion, minus the breading. They added great contrast with the juicy, meaty beef patty and soft bun.

I would say my only complaints here would be a little too little of the saucy condiments for my taste (I like a lot of ketchup and mayo on my burger, and they only add a little of each), but that can be easily fixed. Price would be the only other downside. They are quite a bit more expensive (about $23 for 3 Little burgers, one Burger, 2 drinks, and a large fry), but for the quality of the food, it's an amazing place to splurge every now and again.

Five Guys Little Cheeseburger: 9.5/10 - If you want one of the best burger experiences around, head to Five Guys.

- Chelsea.

No comments: